Effective July 1, 2017, employees in Arizona are entitled to earned paid sick time and accrue a minimum of one hour of earned paid sick time for every 30 hours worked, subject to the following limitations:
- Employees whose employers have less than 15 employees may only accrue or use 24 hours of earned paid sick time per year; and
- Employees whose employers have 15 or more employees may only accrue 40 hours of earned paid sick time per year.
Employers are permitted to select higher accrual use limits.
Employees are entitled to use the leave for themselves or family members in a variety of circumstances, including:
- Medical care for a mental or physical illness, injury or health condition;
- A public health emergency; and
- Absence due to domestic violence, sexual violence, abuse or stalking.
Earned paid sick time can be used as soon as it is accrued. Employees must begin accruing earned paid sick time immediately upon hire; however, an employer may require an employee hired after July 1, 2017 to wait 90 calendar days after the start of employment before using accrued paid sick time.
The required labor poster is available on C2Connection for all Arizona employees to view.