Misclassifying employees as independent contractors has become a huge problem for workers and employers. “Misclassification” refers to a worker who is an employee under the law but is usually incorrectly classified as an independent contractor, which can ultimately hurt those involved financially.
The U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) has created a new website where workers, employers and government agencies can locate information and resources concerning the misclassification of employees as independent contractors.
The website provides a series of links to specific misclassification topics as listed below.
- Pay and Misclassification
- Health and Safety Concerns on the Job
- Unemployment Insurance and Misclassification
- Anti-Retaliation/Anti-Discrimination Rights for Workers
- Federal Taxes and Misclassification
- Health Care and Retirement Benefits – Information on Employer-Sponsored Benefit Plans
To view the DOL’s announcement and gain access to the misclassification website, click here https://www.dol.gov/node/70704.