At a press conference on Tuesday morning, March 17th, Virginia Governor Northam announced further measures designed to help residents and businesses cope with the spread of COVID-19/coronavirus.
- All Virginians are urged to follow all federal guidelines regarding social distancing;
- Gatherings of ten (10) or more people should be cancelled and avoided, which includes, but is not limited to, restaurants, gyms, and theaters. For now, restaurants may continue take out, delivery, and curb side services;
- Virginia will waive the one week waiting period before laid off workers can collect unemployment benefits;
- Virginia DMV offices across the entire state will close, but online services will still be available; and
- Virginians who are sixty-five (65) years of age and older should self-quarantine until further notice.
While the Governor laid out no specific method to enforce these measures, he indicated that for now he is hoping Virginia residents and businesses will comply, but that if they do not he has instructed the Attorney General to plan for enforcement options.